Despite their toxic reputation, poinsettias are not poisonous!

The great news is they’re beautiful, they’re safe and they shout Christmas so feel free to enjoy them in your home without worry!

No plant is more closely associated with Christmas than the poinsettia. It is celebrated for its beauty but also feared for its toxicity. For years, poinsettias have had the bad reputation of being poisonous. However, poinsettias have undergone extensive testing and there is no evidence that they are toxic or unsafe to have in the house.

The American Medical Association (AMA) and The American Veterinary Medicine Association of America (AVMA) do not include poinsettias on the list of plants that are a threat to humans and animals.

Of course, as with any houseplant, they are not meant to be eaten by humans or pets and ingesting poinsettias could cause some stomach upset. Experts say it may be a good idea to keep them out of the reach of children or pets but there is no good reason to cross them off the shopping list for the Christmas season!


Print Friendly, PDF & Email