Planting in Flower Beds
- Choose mums that are still tightly budded.
- Gently tease the roots apart as you set out mums in their planting hole.
- Mums grow best in rich well drained soil. They prefer a position in the garden with at least a half day of sun. They also require plenty of air circulation around each plant.
- No fertilizer is required during the fall season.
- Water newly planted mums immediately after transplanting. During dry spells water as needed to keep plants from wilting.
Planting in Containers
- Lightly tease the roots apart as you would any transplant. Plant your mums using a quality potting mix. Do not use top soil from your yard or garden as it is too heavy.
- Fall planted mums do not require fertilizer.
- Water your container as soon as you finish planting it. Water before signs of wilting appear. Do not allow your mums to dry out.
- Containers should receive at least a half day of sun.