Customers who use the Wenke recipe have only one common experience, their plants look and bloom like three-year old established plants in only one season! Try experimenting and see what you can cook up:
- Site – Select an area then take note whether it’s located in full sun, part sun or shade. Specific plants require varying amounts of sunlight and moisture for proper growth.
- Prep – If necessary remove sod and till soil to loosen and aerate.
- Amendments – Add 1/3 top soil, 1/3 garden compost (or composted manure) and 1/3 sphagnum peat moss (for drainage) into the bed and till into the existing ground to a depth of at least 8”.
- Planting – When creating a new bed, raised or at ground level keep in mind some settling of the soil will occur. Water plants before removing them from their growing pot. Gently loosen the roots of your new plant. Place in the planting hole at the same depth they were growing in their pot unless the plant tag gives other instructions. Backfill around your plants with an ample amount of Wenke Blend mixed with topsoil and firm plants into place. Fertilizer granules may be added to the planting bed at this time to slowly release fertilizer throughout the season.
- Weed Control – You may sprinkle Preen on the beds at a range of 1 oz. per 10 Sq. Feet once planting is complete. Reapply every 9 – 12 weeks. To avoid plant injury, do not apply Preen to wet foliage. Preen is a pre-emergent product that prevents weed seed from germinating. Preen will not kill existing weeds. Do not apply in areas you have recently seeded. Wait until seeds have germinated and have their 2nd set of leaves.
- Water – in as soon as planting is complete. Water 2-3 times per week the first several weeks to help plants get established. Water as needed after that.
- Celebrate – Be prepared for lots of compliments on your beautiful garden!